Holy Names Heritage Center Newsletter
Lake Oswego Review
Lights, camera, film festival
April 30, 2009
Vintage black and white home movies of Holy Names Sisters drew a capacity crowd to the Heritage Center during the Oregon Sesquicentennial Film Festival. The movies date back to the 1930s and feature Sisters at work and at play, relaxing at the Oregon Coast, directing lavish pageants at St. Mary’s Academy, and teaching classes at Marylhurst College. The movies are part of the Heritage Center’s rich archives. read article
Japanntown and its Catholic school a bittersweet memory
February 19, 2009
Nearly 100 people turned out for the Heritage Center’s program “Share Your Stories: Memories of Oregon’s Japanese-American Community.” The program, co-sponsored by the Lake Oswego Library, was part of the 2009 Lake Oswego Reads series. Speakers George Nakata and Sister Marilyn Harris shared their memories of the St. Paul Miki School for Japanese children and the living conditions inside the Japanese internment camps during World War II. read article
Oregon Council for the Humanities
Each month, up to 200 people gather at McMenamins’ Kennedy School to attend History Pub. This innovative series offers participants an opportunity to learn about the Northwest’s fascinating history in a fun and historic setting. Developed by Holy Names Heritage Center, History Pub is a collaborative program of the Heritage Center, Oregon Historical Society, and McMenamins. The Center received a $3500 grant from the Oregon Council for the Humanities for History Pub. Click here to learn more.
Sisters of Holy Names to Mark 150 Years of Service in Oregon
January 22, 2009
In 1859, 12 Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary left all that they had known in Quebec, Canada, to begin a new mission: educating the children of Catholic French voyageurs who had settled in pioneer Portland.
From the start, they faced adversity in the frontier town. The house they were to convert into a school was "the lowliest hovel" - shovels would have been more useful than brooms, they wrote in their journal. Yet they opened St. Mary's Academy just two weeks after their arrival.
This year, the Sisters of the Holy Names and St. Mary's Academy mark their 150th year here.
Holy Names Sisters Say Water is a Human Right, Public Good
January 8, 2009
Holy Names Sister Sue Woodruff remembers a childhood experience that she can never duplicate today: standing along Celilo Falls on the Columbia River and watching her uncles fish for Chinook.
"I was there when my grandma and her daughters, including my mother, preserved the fish for the rest of the year," she said. "It was wonderful. Mostly it was the sound of the water crashing and rushing over and through the rocks that marked a visit to the falls."
But in 1957 the falls were submerged by the construction of The Dalles Dam. The falls literally don't exist. Now when she visits that same site, she hears silence - and sees a dam that harvests not salmon but hydropower.
Burgers, beer, a history lesson - it's a winning combo at McMenamins Kennedy School one evening a month
November 3, 2008
Attention everyone who used to nod off in history class: Karen Kinzey urges you to give the subject another shot. Because this time, the teacher will let you order a burger and beer.
Kinzey is the creator of History Pub, a monthly gathering at McMenamins Kennedy School where adults gather around tables to enjoy food and drink and hear guest speakers talk about fascinating chapters from the region's past. read article
Mary Gordon Public Reading
For Immediate Release: June, 2008
The Sisters of the Holy Names U.S.-Ontario Province are pleased to invite the public to a reading by Mary Gordon at the Holy Names Heritage Center, 17425 Holy Names Drive, Lake Oswego, Oregon 97034.
Mary Gordon, Author and Professor of English, Barnard College, New York is known for her examinations of Catholic family life and spirituality, moral struggle, personal sacrifice, female identity and family pain, which she details in novels, short stories and other literary works.
full press release
Holy Names Heritage Center Grand Opening Celebration
For Immediate Release: June 3, 2007
The Sisters of the Holy Names U.S.-Ontario Province invite the public to the grand opening celebration for the Holy Names Heritage Center on Saturday, June 23, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. The new Heritage Center is located at 17425 Holy Names Drive, Lake Oswego.
full press release
Ageless Art Show
Senior Artists Join in Annual Art Competition
August 8, 2007
More than 100 seniors from across the state will submit their original works of art for judging at the 22nd annual "Ageless Art" contest to be held Thursday, August 16 in Newberg. The event is sponsored by the Oregon Alliance of Senior and Health Services (OASHS.)
full press replease
Mary's Woods Residents' Art Show
New Art by Old Hands
August 10, 2007
In Portland's ever-shifting art scene, one never knows where the
hottest, newest, on-the-edge emerging artist might debut. Look no further! full press replease
Holy Names Heritage Center Press Kit
Twelve sisters, 148 years, one new history center
August 8, 2007
When 12 Sisters of the Holy Names left Quebec in 1859, their 36-day boat trip took them through Panama, before there was a canal, then north along the Pacific coast and inland to Portland, then a town of about 3,500 residents. read article
Lake Oswego Review
Opening Doors to Oregon History
July 12, 2007
From they day they arrived in Oregon in 1859 the Sisters of the Holy Names have always had their eyes on education.
Today, the new Holy Names Heritage Center doesn't totally complete that great mission. But it does give it a beautiful memorial and marks a milestone in the study of the history of the Northwest. read article
Heritage Center Opens, Chronicles Holy Names
July 6, 2007
Nearly 150 years ago, a dozen young women - Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary - left Quebec and headed for Oregon. Along the way, they made an indelible imprint on the development of the Pacific Northwest. read article
West Linn Tidings
Research Center Opening New Doors to Oregon History
July 5, 2007
From the day they arrived in Oregon in 1859, the Sisters of the Holy Names have always had their eyes on education.
Today, the brand new Holy Names Heritage Center doesn't totally complete that great mission. But it does give it a beautiful memorial and marks a milestone in the study of the history of the Northwest.
Out of Canada: Telling our "Family History"
Experience tells us that our own sense of self identity is influenced greatly by the
decisions and actions of family members who lived before us - where they began,
where they settled, why they stayed there, what they experienced. The same is
true for our new Province. Our U.S.-Ontario history and charism, our very identity, began
in Quebec 164 years ago. read article
New Center Plans to Capture the Past;
Provide for the Future, celebrate the Present
The survivors of the Katrina hurricane disaster
suffered many losses, even of life and home. One
loss many of them still speak of centers around
treasured family keepsakes: letters, pictures,
documents, awards. The new Heritage Center at
Marylhurst has provisions to protect these kinds of
things, not only from natural disasters, but also from
the scattering and movements of families or groups. read article
Holy Names Sisters' Archives to be More Than a Warehouse
January 19, 2006
His Grace [Portland Archbishop Alexander Christie] came to St. Mary's announcing that he had fifty acres of valuable land cleared and a good portion under cultivation about one mile and a half from Oswego on the west bank of the Willamette River. . . . The amount asked by the owners is twenty thousand dollars but Mr. O'Brien our real estate agent, hopes to secure it for fifteen."
The aging book containing this 1906 chronicle from the Sisters of the Holy Names will be among items the religious community will store in a new archive on their riverside campus here.
The Holy Names Heritage Center Will Feature
146 Years of History in the Pacific Northwest
On Sunday, September 18, the Holy Names Sisters and more than 200 family and
friends celebrated the development of a new heritage center with a blessing ceremony
near the future site of the Center at Marylhurst. The 75-acre site-which is also home
to the Sisters' Provincial House and Mary's Woods-is slated to house the Heritage
Center building, which will be open to the public. read article